Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bake-A-Long #8: Chocolate Streusel Coffee Cake


We are currently renovating one of the outdated bathrooms in our 1913 built house. We are very fortunate to have the help of Matt's family, primarily his uncle, cousin, dad, and brother. Since I'm not very good with tools, my "job" has been to make breakfast and lunch for the crew. I most definitely have the better end of this little deal.

Bathroom pre gutting.

Partially gutted bathroom.

Look at the great job they are doing!

Given the crazy cold weather here this week (we live in central Florida and we supposably had snow early Saturday morning), coffee + this chocolate streusel coffee cake sounded like a perfect Sunday morning breakfast for everyone.


Overall, this cake was simple to mix up and bake (even with frozen feet).
The chocolate filling, which consisted of cocoa powder, brown sugar, and cinnamon, was sprinkled in the middle of the batter and then the top layer of batter was poured in. I didn't read all the way through beforehand and sprinkled the filling all the way to the edges of the pan, whereas I was supposed to keep in the center .
The recipe called for a 6 cup bundt pan and cupcakes but I used a 6 cup loaf pan.


I decided to throw some bittersweet chocolate chips on the top before baking.


The directions say the cake is done when the edges start to pull away from the sides. My cake, however, rose over the edges of the pan so I had trouble deciding when it was done baking (As I was previewing this post, I realized my error. I didn't make any cupcakes, and therefore had too much batter in the pan. I'm gonna blame my lack of following the directions this morning on the cold). I put a toothpick in after 43 minutes and it came out slightly wet but not doughy, so I took it out.


After a few minutes of cooling, the cake sunk slightly in the middle, which told me that it wasn't completely done, but I went ahead and cut into it while it was still warm.


The first few pieces were perfect: moist, melt in your mouth texture. But, as we got to the center of the loaf, the cake was slightly doughy. This however, did not stop anyone from eating it. Between 4 of us, the cake was 3/4 of the way eaten in one sitting. This is one I will for sure make again, but maybe I need to invest in a 6 cup bundt pan.

8 comments:

  1. OMG! Icicles in FL; my daughter goes to school in Boca and has been calling home regularly to tell us she's freezing!

    I love your chocolate chip idea. Even with the issue you mentioned, I'd say your construction crew is very well fed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Icicles and snow in Florida, earthquakes here in California, what a week! And can you send your men out this way, please? I could definitely use a few walls knocked out! Your cake looks yummy, doughy or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the chocolate chips on top--nice addition. The cold in FL sounds awful! At least in MN, we're prepared for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Vicki, your cake looks delicious, doughy or not! I too love the idea of chocolate chip..as you know, i'm a chocoholic..the more chocolate the merrier..LOL!

    Snow seems so much fun to me. Probably it's because i've never really experienced snow or snowfall so to me it sounds pretty fun even though i don't really like the cold - cos' i'll be able to wear all these thick clothings and boots for sure which i can't here in the tropics! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea to add the chocolate chips. The cold does not sound like fun. I know from growing up in CA how much worse cold is in a place where that is unusual because it is colder when you don't have all the proper clothes. Keep baking to stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How creative to use a loaf pan, and add choc chips. Maybe lowering the temperature and baking it longer would have fixed the doughy texture in the middle. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also like the loaf pan idea--much more logical in my mind than a little Bundt cake plus 2 cupcakes. Did you reduce your oven temp for the glass pan? I wondered if that might have been why the edges got done a little too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see your finished bathroom!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete