Monday, October 19, 2009

Bake-A-Long #2: Apple Upside Down Cake

This was my first upside down cake, and I have to say, this one is going to be hard to beat. The cake was melt in your mouth moist and the topping added the perfect amount of apple-y sweetness. Here is how I made it:

1. I used golden delicious apples, a variety I have never cooked with, but were recommended in the recipe.
2. I added 1 tsp of cinnamon to the caramel topping while it was cooking. I really like cinnamon, and thought about putting it in the batter, but wasn't sure if it would alter the texture, so I opted for the topping only.
3. I also used salted butter in the caramel topping. I thought a little saltiness might go well with the sweet.
4. I do not own a 9 x 2 in pan, so I used my 9 x 1.5 in pan. I was afraid the cake might rise to high, but it came out perfect.


I don't think I cooked the caramel long enough, but even so, the topping was yummy (it wasn't even soggy when I ate a piece for breakfast the next morning). I also did not use the walnuts or whipped cream. Next time I will give them a try.
Matt (my husband), who claimed to not like upside down cakes loved it too. He said he would like to make it again in a spring form pan, cutting the apples into small pieces and baking in between two layers of cake, topped with cinnamon streusel. If we ever make this, I'll let you know how it turns out.


This recipe is a keeper, and may just be my favorite RLB cake yet. The easy factor makes it even better. I wasn't sure I was going to have time to bake this weekend due to a new house guest running around (woof), but I'm glad I did.

4 comments:

  1. Your cake looks grand - such a gorgeous caramel colour. And your house guest is oh so cute. Is he staying for long? That one ear up, one ear down is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dark caramel color too--I wonder if the cinnamon made a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicola,
    I guess he is more of a new family member than house guess, he is here for good!

    Breadbasketcase,
    I never thought of that, it could be, because mine did turn out darker than some of the others I've looked at, and I don't even think I cooked it long enough.

    ReplyDelete